Root canal therapy, also known as endodontic treatment, is a procedure that can be performed by skilled dentists to save a natural tooth from damage or extraction. With continued advances in modern dentistry, this procedure continues to be a popular choice for patients with abscesses, infections, or substantial damage to the natural tooth and the inner dental pulp. The dentists of Gallery 57 Dental in New York, NY are here to help patients in addressing the problems that might lead to the need for root canal treatment.
What is done during root canal therapy?
During the root canal procedure, the dentist will start by numbing the area with anesthetic. Once patients no longer feel sensation in the treatment area, any decay will be removed from the tooth. Access is made to the inside of the tooth, known as the canals, to remove infected tissue such as the dental pulp. If there is an infection present, antimicrobial medication will be applied to the area as well. The empty and cleaned canals are then filled with a rubber-like putty called gutta percha before it is sealed off with a composite resin filling. In many situations, the dentist may also prepare the tooth and place a dental crown over it. This offers an extra layer of strength and protection for the tooth, as it can become weak and brittle due to the loss of dental pulp.
What are the benefits of root canal therapy?
- It eliminates problems associated with missing teeth such as natural bone loss in the jaw and shifting teeth
- Allows for the removal of decay and the chance to clear the infection to preserve the natural teeth and maintain oral health and wellness
- Less pain and discomfort when associated with tooth extraction
- Shorter recovery time than simple and surgical extractions
- Alleviation of problems associated with the condition that required the root canal to be performed
Are you in need of a root canal?
New York, NY area patients who are in need of root canal therapy are welcome to book an appointment with Gallery 57 Dental to learn more about this procedure and have it completed by an experienced team of professionals. Call (212) 246-8700 to request an appointment with our dentists at 24 West 57th Street, Suite #701. We are open to new and returning patients and families.