Are You Getting A Goodnight’s Rest?
- Approximately 40% of adults over 40 have snoring issues
- Snoring and Sleep Apnea worsens with age, increasing your risk of heart disease and diabetes
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a potentially serious disorder, in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep.
The potential complications of untreated sleep apnea include: high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, daytime sleepiness, diabetes, weight gain, impotency, and increased mortality. Snoring and mild to moderate Sleep Apnea can often be treated with an oral appliance.
While physicians often recommend a C-PAP (a breathing machine with a mask), many patients find an oral appliance less intrusive and more comfortable.
The oral appliance consists of plastic mouthpieces that fit over the teeth and move the bottom jaw forward. This creates a larger airway, which increases airflow. It is effective for about 85% of patients with mild to moderate Sleep Apnea and snoring. Sleep appliances are often covered by medical insurance if accompanied by a sleep study and physician’s prescription.
The symptoms of Sleep Apnea
- Loud or disruptive snoring
- Awaking with choking or gasping for air
- Frequent urination disrupting sleep
- Grogginess, morning headaches
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
What to do if you have Sleep Apnea Symptoms
If you have any of these symptoms, speak to your doctor or dentist. A dentist specially trained to treat sleep disorders, can facilitate in helping you get the right treatment.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine estimates there are over 50 million Americans who suffer from Sleep Apnea and don’t even know it. Left untreated, it can lead to serious health issues. Ask us today about getting screened.
Unlike in the past, where patients had to spend the night at a sleep testing center, newer tests can be done in your own home with a small electronic device. Our sleep coordinator can arrange for the home test and help coordinate medical insurance benefits. Ask us today about getting screened to see if you may have a sleep disordered breathing problem.
- "Dr. Robert Rawdin is 100% the best dentist I’ve ever had. Not only is he knowledgeable and friendly, but he goes above and beyond for you." - G.M.
- "I have been.a long time patient of Dr.Rawdin’s. Over the decades Dr. Rawdin has been the most patient, kind, calm, and professional dentist one can imagine." - M.W.
- "The professionalism and expertise is top notch here. The Gallery57Dental office incorporates the newest dental technology available. The entire process is efficient, time saving and gaurantees that you get the proper care, very friendly staff as well!" - A.F.
- "Honestly probably the best dentist and dental office I've been to. I have a lot of anxiety but didn't feel any there. They are handling the pandemic especially well. 1000% recommended." - S.E