By: Rosie Torres, R.D.H.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year and many of us are scrambling for some last-minute gifts, even if you’ve made your list and checked it twice. You’ve probably already shopped for clothes, toys, electronics, and books. So how about getting your friends and loved ones something that is both functional and beneficial…and great for their oral health! What better way to start the New Year right than with a newly improved oral hygiene regimen? Read on for my top 5 favorite dental-gift goodies!
My Top 5-Favorite Dental Gift Goodies:
1. Electric Toothbrush ($40-$250)
This is my very favorite gift because it’s the most necessary when it comes to improving your oral health, and literally everyone can use one! Philips Sonicare and Oral-B make the best electric toothbrushes on the market. Not sure which one to choose? Oral-B electric toothbrushes feature a round brush head, which is best for people who have their wisdom teeth and/or have trouble accessing hard-to-reach areas. The Oral-B Pro 1000 is a great deal at Best Buy for $39.99. For a brush with more advanced features, get the Oral-B iO Series 7 for $169.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Don’t forget to register for the 20%-off coupon for an additional savings. If the newest, luxury version is what you’re after, try the Oral-B iO Series 9for $249.99 directly from the Oral-B website.
I love that it comes in multiple color options including rose quartz. Its previous version, the Oral-B iO Series 8 is also available in purple for $199.99. The Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush is best for those who prefer a brush head similar to that of a manual toothbrush. The Philips Sonicare Protective Clean 6100 is available for $133 at Walmart. For additional features, get the Philips Sonicare Diamond Classic for $179.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond or the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart 9300 from Amazon for $189.99
Keep in mind that you don’t have to buy the most expensive brush to seriously upgrade your dental routine. I’ve included a range of options, because some people might like to use an app and extra features to help them stay on track. But the most important things to consider when choosing which brush to buy are a built-in pressure sensor (to protect your gums and sensitive areas) and a two-minute timer, which are included in the most basic versions.
2. Water Flosser ($35-$155)
Why not give the gift of cleaner gums this season with a new water flosser?! This is an oral hygiene game changer! Both avid flossers and those who need to floss more will certainly appreciate this gift. The WaterPik Aquarius is available at Amazon for $78 or for those who have limited bathroom countertop space, try the cordless version (which can also be used in the shower) for $35.
Does your friend or significant other need both a water flosser and an electric toothbrush? Check out WaterPik’s Sonic Fusion 2.0 at Amazon for $155. Here comes Santa Floss!
Although nothing beats professional teeth whitening, over-the-counter whitening products are a great way to brighten smiles. Your loved ones will be thrilled to head into 2022 with some brand-new pearly whites. Try Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips at Amazon for $39.
4.Oral Care Subscription Box ($2.50-$85)
Most people love subscribing to things like weekly or monthly food delivery, wine, skincare, and clothing boxes. So why not oral healthcare? There are several subscription services that provide the essentials like toothbrush replacements, toothpaste, and mouthwash. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Quip ($25-$75): You can choose either a plastic toothbrush starter kit from $25+, or a metal sonic vibrating toothbrush kit for $40+. Their toothbrushes include features such as a timer mode and wall suction cups. You can also add their branded toothpaste to your subscription. Boxes are shipped out every 3 months and free shipping is included.
- Toothbrush Hub ($2.50-$10): This subscription box features name-brand toothbrushes delivered to you on a regular basis. You can choose from manual or electric options, and you can also select kids’ toothbrushes. Toothbrush Hub also sells add-ons like floss and toothpaste, etc. Shipment options are customizable with delivery every 2, 3, or 6 months.
- Burst ($85): This electric toothbrush subscription box features four sonic toothbrushes that come in black, white, lavender or rose gold and only need to be charged around once per month. They also feature a two-minute timer that will automatically turn off to ensure that you brush for as long as you are supposed to. Replacement brush heads are shipped out every 3 months for around $8. Burst also sells add-ons like toothpaste, floss, and whitening strips.
5. A Customized Oral Hygiene Gift Bag
Why not get creative this year and put together a special dental care kit for your friends and family? Include a year’s worth of colorful soft-bristle manual toothbrushes at Amazon for $8 (manual toothbrushes and electric toothbrush heads should be replaced every 3 months) and some sugar-free gum for $7 to get them started with a healthy habit. How about including a fancy daytime/nighttime toothpaste duo for $13 for your super-trendy friend or relative? Or perhaps get festive with a holiday-themed, candy-cane flavored toothpaste from Target for $10. Throw in some tropical-flavored dental floss for $12 from Amazon for your beach-loving friend.
Are you putting together a gift bag for a child? Help make a tooth fairy’s job easier with these super-cute tooth fairy door hangers $15 for your niece or nephew that just lost their first tooth. A toothbrushing timer $18 is also an essential for kids. This particular one features music and also encourages proper hand-washing time too!
No matter which one you choose, these dental gifting goodies will definitely make your friend or significant other unwrap a smile this holiday season. Oral hygiene is definitely important for everyone on your list, including you! Don’t forget to make sure that you’ve had your regular dental cleaning and exam, to start off the New Year right.