Temporomandibular joint disorder, sometimes referred to as TMJ/TMD, is a condition that can occur when the jaw joints malfunction. It can result in pain and discomfort, along with other problems that can impact your day-to-day life. With a proper diagnosis from your dental team, you can discuss treatment options suited to your lifestyle and the severity of your disorder.
Why might I need treatment for temporomandibular joint disorder?
At Gallery 57 Dental of New York, NY, our team understands the issues that often coexist with temporomandibular joint disorder. These may include:
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Clicking/popping of the jaw joint
- Challenges chewing and biting
- Facial muscle spasms
Our team is highly skilled in providing the latest treatments available to help alleviate pain and improve function.
What treatments might be suggested for temporomandibular joint disorder?
After you have gotten a definitive diagnosis of temporomandibular joint disorder, sometimes referred to as TMJ/TMD, you can then discuss with our team at Gallery 57 Dental the available treatments that can be used to achieve a healthier, more comfortable smile. Some of the treatments that our dentists might recommend include the following:
- Orthodontic therapy to correct jaw and bite misalignments
- Oral appliance therapy to protect the teeth and align the upper and lower jaws
- Physical therapy and massage to help relax tight muscles
- Anti-inflammatory medications and muscle relaxants
- Daily use of a TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit
- Steroid injections for pain relief
- Surgery is a last resort if conservative treatments are not effective
The goal of treatment is to decrease pain, restore function, and provide long-term relief. Our team is extremely dedicated to helping you achieve lasting results with the most appropriate and comfortable treatments available. We develop a treatment plan that is designed to the severity of your condition while remaining within your budget for affordability.
Reach out to our team at Gallery 57 Dental today to discuss treatment for TMJ/TMD!
With a proper diagnosis and a customized treatment plan, you will be on your way to improving your quality of life while addressing pain and discomfort caused by temporomandibular joint disorder. If you reside in New York, NY, and want to speak to our team about possible solutions, connect with us by calling 212-246-8700 to request a visit to our state-of-the-art dental facility. We are pleased to serve new and returning patients in our practice to provide comprehensive dental care to our patients.