Gum recession is a condition that can occur within the smile and cause a host of issues that need to be addressed with a dental professional. It is the result of gum tissue wearing down or pulling away from the teeth. This can lead to gaps between the gumline and teeth where bacteria can rest and accumulate. The bacterial build-up can lead to the development of irreversible issues such as periodontal disease, cavities, and tooth loss. Because gum recession also exposes more of the tooth root, patients might also experience increased sensitivity and susceptibility to cavities.
What causes the gums to recede?
There are several situations that can cause gum recession, including:
- Periodontal disease – periodontal disease, or gum disease, can significantly impact one’s smile in more ways than just gum recession. This infection can be difficult to control.
- Brushing the teeth aggressively or with the wrong toothbrush – patients need to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and avoid brushing too hard to avoid gum recession, bleeding gums, and other concerns.
- Genetics – some patients have a genetic predisposition to gum recession, so in some instances, it may not be avoidable.
- Grinding of the teeth (bruxism) – patients diagnosed with bruxism, which results in unconscious clenching and grinding of the teeth, may notice gum recession as well as wear and tear to their natural teeth.
- Misaligned smile – if the bite is not properly aligned, it can cause the gums to recede due to abnormal forces on the jawbones and gums. Orthodontic work can be done to realign the smile and avoid overcrowding or misalignment that might inhibit the ability to properly clean the teeth and gums.
- Tobacco use – patients who chew or smoke tobacco may find that they are far more susceptible to receding gums when compared to other adults who do not.
- Poor oral hygiene – poor oral hygiene can contribute to periodontal disease and the recession of gum tissue.
Discuss treatment for gum recession with the team at Gallery 57 Dental
New York, NY patients who are dealing with gum recession and want to learn about the options available to them for treatment are strongly advised to connect with the team at Gallery 57 Dental. Call (212) 246-8700 and book an appointment at our office at 24 West 57th Street, Suite #701. We are accepting new patients and work with individuals to assist them in achieving their oral health goals.