Raising The Barre For New Year’s 2018
- Posted on: Dec 26 2017
Every New Year we all resolve to start a new fitness regimen. In fact last year, despite being the most popular resolution, only 8 percent of people actually followed through. It’s extremely hard to keep it going regularly and once we’ve fallen off the wagon it gets harder and harder to get back into fitness mode. Let’s raise the bar, not only for your oral health but also your overall health for 2018.
Making fitness part of our regular routine is no easy feat. One way to get the momentum going is remembering what’s at stake. The health benefits of working out go way beyond looking good, they also include cholesterol control, improved muscle and bone health (osteoporosis prevention), heart health as well as improved sleep and weight control.
For best results, how often do you really need to exercise?
For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends these exercise guidelines: Get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. For city dwellers this can be easier to incorporate by choosing to walk or bike to work. For commuters in the suburbs this can be tough.
Here are some tips I personally use and find helpful:
- Take the steps no matter what! This is great way to sneak in cardio.
- Split your dessert in half and save some for the next day (or share with a friend).
- I get on an exercise machine for half hour 4 days a week (minimum) and stream my favorite show to pass the time.
- Wear a heart rate monitor when working out, it really motivates to push yourself further.
- Reward yourself! I always indulge myself to a great post-workout treat. My favorite is bananas, SunButter and Justin’s Hazelnut Spread.
- Find a workout that will keep you motivated. Me and Dr. Sam Rawdin love doing a barre class at Physique 57. It’s a fun cardio workout that tones and shapes your body!
We care about your dental health and overall health. That’s why we’re giving away 2 barre classes to help jumpstart your workouts. Join our Instagram contest and raise the barre for 2018!
Tagged with: aerobic, bananas, bike, cholesterol control, contest, D.r Rebecca Koenigsberg, dental health, department of health and human services, Dr. Samantha Rawdin, fitness, gallery57dental, general health, giveaway, heart health, Instagram, Justin's Hazelnut Spread, New Years, New Years 2018, osteoporosis, physique 57, Raise the barre 2018, rebecca_the-dentist, sleep, style.your.smile, SunButter, walk, weight control