Perhaps you’ve heard the phrase, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” When it comes to dentistry, this couldn’t be more true! By practicing proper oral health habits, many patients can prevent problems that can become damaging and costly to repair. At Gallery 57 Dental, we know that many patients make New Year’s resolutions, and one of them should be to prioritize oral health in 2022!
What problems can occur with the smile without proper care?
Patients who neglect to protect their smile from damage may experience a variety of issues. Some of the biggest issues in dentistry include:
- Misalignment of the teeth (especially after tooth loss)
- Periodontal disease (gum disease)
- Tooth decay (cavities)
- Plaque, tartar, and calculus buildup on the teeth
How can I improve my dental health routine for 2022?
Patients who visit with our dentists at Gallery 57 Dental will often ask about the ways they can improve their oral health habits. Below are just a few of the steps patients should be taking to keep problems such as periodontal disease, tooth decay, and infection from becoming a serious problem:
- Brushing with the right instruments after every meal. We encourage patients to consider electric toothbrushes as they automate much of the brushing process and ensure better results. Patients should also use a toothpaste with fluoride, or prescription toothpaste if needed from their dental provider.
- Flossing once a day. By flossing, patients can remove food particles between the teeth that can contribute to the formation of cavities.
- Use a mouthwash. When done brushing and flossing, using a mouthwash takes it one step further while also freshening breath.
- Call the dentist when problems arise. Don’t wait for small problems to become big problems. Contact the dentist as soon as changes occur, even if you’re still months ahead of your routine dental visit.
- Visit once every six months. The American Dental Association recommends that patients visit their dentist at least twice a year for a cleaning and examination. This monitors the msil efor any potential problems and can catch issues before they become more damaging to the smile.
Call Gallery 57 Dental today to book an appointment
Our dentists in New York, NY are here to help patients achieve and maintain oral health and wellness, and encourage patients to make their dental health a priority in 2022. Call (212) 246-8700 to request an appointment with our team at 24 West 57th Street, Suite #701.